“TITU MAIORESCU” UNIVERSITY
FOR THE POSITION OF RECTOR OF
“TITU MAIORESCU” UNIVERSITY
Candidate: Professor Iosif Urs, PhD
The University, 30 years after its establishment
1. The year 2020 is an important year in the history and evolution of “Titu Maiorescu” University. On April 23, 2020, the University celebrates 30 years of existence, three decades during which the institution has undergone a continuous process of evolution and development. The 30th anniversary of “Titu Maiorescu” University is not only an occasion to celebrate the anniversary but also – more importantly – an occasion to analyze the institutional evaluation, through the means of a lucid reflection on what has been achieved and what is to be entered as a priority on the management agenda. In this 30 years span, the University has developed and it has strengthened its identity within the national system of higher education, having as objective and ideal the education and the scientific research, the quality of the study programs, the professionalism of the human resources and the development of its infrastructure.
2. After three decades of existence, “Titu Maiorescu” University is a solid university, complex in structure, modern in vision, educational programs and openness, European in spirit, values and ideals. Two emblematic and dominant vectors of its institutional identity are the status of advanced research and education university, granted by the Charter, and the rating “high degree of trust”, granted by ARACIS following institutional evaluation. The TMU is structured as 10 different faculties, 20-degree full-time learning programs, five-degree long-distance learning programs, 26 masters’ programs and three doctoral schools in the following fields: Law, Medicine, Dental Medicine. At the bachelor’s level, there are also two programs in English, held by the Faculty of Medicine and respectively by the Faculty of Dental Medicine. In addition to these, there are also three postgraduate courses: The inclusion in the educational system of children with special educational requirements, Childcare – a dimension of pre-pre school education and Posturology, the first two held by the Faculty of Communication Sciences and International Relations, and the third by the Faculty of Medicine. At the same time, the university has a Department of Psychophysiological Profile (DSPP) and the Romanian Language Preparatory Program for foreign citizens. There are two research institutes that operate inside the University: the Institute of Studies, Research, Development and Innovation and the Medical Research Institute “Acad. Nicolae Cajal ”, as well as nine research centers at the faculty level. Moreover, the “Titu Maiorescu” Academic Institute, open to education, science and culture, which publishes Laudatio magazine functions as well at the University.
3. “Titu Maiorescu” University is deeply anchored in the reality of the European Higher Education Area and the European Research Area, as a modern, active, dynamic institution, open through its mission and programs to the needs of a knowledge-based society. The university is part of the international network of education and research, formed out of educational institutions, organizations and programs, along with other universities from the European Union, Europe and from all around the world. “Titu Maiorescu” University is a member of prestigious organizations, such as: the European University Association (EUA), the European Association of Erasmus Coordinators (EAEC), the Francophonie University Association (Agence universitaire de la Francophonie, AUF), developing partnerships with universities from other countries, as well as expanding the internationalization of study programs.
4. The current institutional reality qualifies “Titu Maiorescu” University as a high-quality university of Romania, recognized as such both nationally and internationally. At the beginning of the managerial 2020-2024 term for the next four years, the University is in an important moment of its evolution and development. It’s time to define new strategic options and lines of action that will ensure the continuation of the development process, in order respond to current demands and requirements, taking into consideration the options and trends of the education and training system of young people, the competitive environment, the economic and social difficulties, the present reality of the labor market, as well as the prospects emerging in our society and the challenges of the future regarding science, knowledge and technology.
5. Looking at the University through its development dynamics, the present Management Plan identifies and highlights a series of strategic priorities for the 2020-2024 term, underlined by the need for continuation, investing all the resources and all the energy of the academic community, of the institutional structure into the improvement of the complex development process regarding educational programs, scientific research, human resources, students, international relations, computerization and technology.
Professor IOSIF URS, PhD